Friday, February 6, 2015

The Book of Unknown Americans by Cristina Henriquez

New Favorite Book y'all!

This book is beautiful and so real and I love feeling represented in books I read. It's like authors saying "I see you, I hear you & I understand." One of many examples: "I wasn't allowed to claim the thing I felt and I didn't feel the thing I was supposed to claim." referring to feeling American but not being viewed as one by your peers and the conflicting emotions that follow. This book is an emotional, unique look at the immigrant experience from many perspectives and definitely worth a read.

Here are a few of the other quotes that really resonated with me:

"But when I glanced at the people around us, no one was even looking in our direction, and I felt the way that I often felt in this country-simultaneously conspicuous and invisible, like an oddity whom everyone noticed but chose to ignore."

"The sand, when we came to it, was covered by a dusting of snow. the barreling ocean waves were a silvery blue. we stood side by side and looked out at the vastness, the possibility of everything out there. within the universe, I felt like a speck, but within myself I felt gigantic, the salt air filling my lungs, the roaring of the waves rushing in my ears."

"People do what they have to in this life. We try to get from one end of it to the other with dignity and with honor. We do the best we can."

"We're the unknown Americans, the ones no one even wants to know, because they've been told they're supposed to be scared of us and because maybe if they did take the time to know us, they might realize that we're not that bad, maybe even that we're a lot like them."

No comments:

Post a Comment