Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Favorites of 2014: Part 2!


The Secret Ingredient by Stewart Lewis
Gosh, I loved this book. I enjoyed Olivia's refreshing narration so much. She has two dads and had not wondered about her mother for most of her life but then she gets the urge to know who it is and how it all unravels is just like it was meant to be. There is a boy as well but even though Theo sounds great, the story is about Olivia finding herself with a little help from her british friend, Lola.
P.S. one of my favorite books is You Have Seven Messages by Stewart as well so read that too!

Say What You Will by Cammie McGovern
Say What You Will is a beautiful story about Amy, a girl that will not let the world define her by her physical disabilities, and Matthew, a boy that's always had her in his sights. Matthew has some serious problems of his own because of his struggles with OCD and his denial of the problem in the first place.

When Amy insists that she has peers take her around school instead of aides, she insists that Matthew signs up because of an incident when she was younger where he confronted her and said that this facade she had where everything was calm, cool and collected was total bullshit. It was great to see how they both slowly let their guards down around each other and really grew to care for each other through all the trials that the world threw their way. Stories like this make it so easy to view the world around you in a different light and see how unique everyone's particular story really is.

The Strange & Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender by Lesyle Walton
This is such a lovely story that is full of just beautiful and bittersweet moments. Lesyle's lyrical writing style made me feel  so invested in the lives of the Lavender women and I grew to care for Emilienne, Vivienne and Ava and just wished the best for them. I love how magical and whimsical this story is while at the same time feeling totally realistic. A must read.

Love Letters to the Dead by Ava Dellaira
Laurel's story is beautiful and this is one of those books that is going to stick with me for quite some time. I am a lover of quotes and beautiful prose and this was chockful of it. I loved the letter format and I even listened to some of the music and sang along as she and her friends did in the book. This book deals with some heavy stuff and it does it in such a manner that I felt both angry and sad while I read it. Laurel's self discovery and growth is not an easy one and I'm glad to have gotten to read and learn from it.


The Archived & The Unbound (sequel) by V.E Schwab
"Imagine a place where the dead rest on shelves like books. Each body has a story to tell, a life seen in pictures that only Librarians can read. The dead are called Histories, and the vast realm in which they rest is the Archive." Mackenzie and Wesley's story is one that you need to pick up and when you reach that climax, just get ready for the ride of your life!

Aristotle & Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe By Benjamin Alire Saenz
This is one of my new favorite books. Ari is a beautiful soul and Dante is just stunning and I wish I could meet them and just hug them. I got chills reading this because of the connection I felt with Ari when it comes to how he views himself in this world as a Latino. It's just brilliant and so so true. A must read! 

The Impossible Knife of Memory by Laurie Halse Anderson
LHA has done it again folks. This novel is breathtaking. Literally, I felt myself holding my breath because Hayley's story is just so heartbreaking. Dealing with a father going through PTSD is something not many people know about but with this story it's like I was thrust into her shoes. Her point of view, her narration was just chilling. Another favorite for sure.

Ask the Passengers by A.S. King
This was the year of me discovering new favorite authors and Lady King is one of them. This is my favorite of her books thus far. I really enjoyed how real Astrid felt. A.S King's writing style is so different from anything I've read and I loved it. I loved that Astrid did not want to be and did not allow herself to be put in a box because there is so much more to a person than who they love. A book full of great quirks.

Ends to trilogies:
Champion by Marie Lu
I was scared that this was not going to end well but Marie Lu has surprised me and I even ended up tearing up at the epilogue. June and Day have gone through hell thus far and with Champion it is no different. There are so many battles and emotions and I could not put the book down. I sincerely love when authors do switching points of view because the reader gets to see both sides of the narrators. I normally get annoyed with the female narration and love the male one but in this case I equally enjoyed June's narration as I did Day's. I did always look forward to Day's because gosh I just love his voice and how at this point we know him so well and see the deepness to his character while the Republic and the Colonies might not. I love that they both have their weaknesses but that does not break their resolve and they get business handled even when it hurts. 

The One by Kiera Cass
I am sincerely happy with this series and I adore America. The whole world of Illea is not an easy place to live in and especially with the situation she was thrust into and there were so many ups and downs. I normally hate love triangles but I was so confused with this one because Maxon and Aspen were who they were because of the circumstance they were born into and it is what it is. I have hearts in my eyes for Maxon though because MAXON. The letters from her Dad and from Maxon are my favorite thing ever. I love letters and I literally teared up with her while reading the one her Dad had left her because he is brilliant. I'd love to get more about him and his whole background. I also grew to like the girls after getting to know them and the surprise for us all was Celeste of course. All in all, this is another trilogy that I shall call my favorite. A+ Kiera! :D

4 other series I began and finished this year and enjoyed through all the ups and downs:
The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken
Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
Across the Universe by Beth Revis
Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo


No comments:

Post a Comment