Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Stats of 2014 Reads and Thoughts


I've read 87 books this year. Awesome! (Favorites list to come)

I've never sat down and calculated my stats and I just did so and man was I surprised. I went out of my comfort zone (young adult) and read more fiction which was only read 12 fiction books. I included fantasy, mystery & sci-fi in that section. Since 12 is not that many, I will definitely work on increasing that number in 2015.

I did read more middle grade as well which is cool, 12 as well. Highlights: I read the Percy Jackson series which was fun & reread The Giver & the first two Harry Potter books. :]

One of my goals was to read more nonfiction and while I read only 4 I feel like I took a lot from each story. Lean In, Wanderlust, The Opposite of Loneliness & Esther Earl's book will stay with me for years to come. I want to continue to read more nonfiction in 2015.

One of my other goals in 2015 is to read more comics and graphic novels. I've always wanted to and never known where to start so I think I'm going to read some of Marvel's New 52 as well as Y: The Last Man, Ms. Marvel, The Saga comics, & some Superman, Spiderman & Batman comics as well.

Something I did try to do more of this year was read diversely and to see that I'd only read 9 people of color was shocking. I've always thought I read more diverse books but I guess it's more of those books on my to be read pile. Time to rectify that for sure!

Lastly, I calculated how many women vs men I read. I've always read many ladies so I think I went out of my way to read men and the books I did read were pretty great. One of the favorites of the year being: Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan

This little exercise inspired by Rincey over at rinceyreads onYoutube is something I want to learn from and continue doing. Here's to more diverse, fun, eye-opening reading in 2015!

Stats: 87 books read
YA-53
Middle Grade-12
Adult Fiction (includes fantasy mystery, scifi)-12
-Non Fiction-4
E-Novellas-4
Graphic Novels-2

Some where repeats:
POC-9
White-40
Women-39
Men-13

No comments:

Post a Comment